Sunday, March 27, 2016

How I Discovered My Love of Reading


As a child of immigrant parents, I was never read to because my parents did not know a lot of English. At the elementary school that I attended, I don't recall my teachers reading to the class. I also don't recall being assigned any reading. Maybe I did read some books, but I honestly don't remember. All the reading that I had to do was later in middle school and high school and college and it mostly consisted of dry textbooks and boring books I was assigned to read for English class. When I had my daughter, I knew I wanted something different for her. I wanted to expose her to the library and to all the wonderful and magical books out there. Every week, we go to the library and we borrow three bags worth (that is as much as I can carry). I have to tell you. We read all the books. I am truly amazed at how many fabulous children's book there are. Every week, we keep discovering more! I am just as amazed at how many books our library has available. Slowly, as a family we have discovered the wide variety of books that our family enjoys. From the extensive list of children's pictures books to early readers to graphic novels to chapter books. 

For the first time in my life, I enjoy reading and discovering the book alongside my children. I am a little sad that it took me 30 something years to realize that I love to read. But I am grateful that I love books now, and I am so happy and proud that my children do too. I am thankful that my children's lives are going to be so much better because of books and because they have a Mom who reads aloud to them everyday.



There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all.

–Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

No comments:

Post a Comment