Thursday, April 7, 2016

Food with Friends-Leela Cyd



I'm not much of a cook or a baker. I view cooking and baking as a chore-something I have to do. I really wish that I enjoy cooking more because then my family and I would have more delicious meals to eat. When I'm looking for a recipe, I usually just look online. So it's that much of a shock that I don't own a single cookbook. Food with Friends by Leela Cyd is the first cookbook I own. Let me just start off that the photography is gorgeous. The pictures are so stunning that I want to make everything in the cookbook. Leela is a photographer, and her website has more of her beautiful photography of food and places she's traveled.

My favorite so far was the Beet Pickled Eggs. I have always LOVED deviled eggs but this recipe takes deviled eggs to a whole new level. The color of the red/purple-hued eggs are simply stunning. The recipe does require some planning ahead of time due to the pickling so if you are making this for a party, plan accordingly. Another hit with me was the Roasted Plums with Burrata. I was really surprised to like it. I'm not much of a cheese person, and I've never had burrata. But this was very tasty! I also really enjoyed the Muesli with Plums and Blackberry Mash sans the muesli. In the muesli's defense, I usually hate oatmeal and all things relating to oatmeal (granola, oatmeal cookies, etc). So I just make the blackberry mash without the rolled oats.

I am looking forward to trying the Lemon Lavender French Toast, Tartines and Small Toast, Chard Empanadas with Pistachio Crema, and Sugar Cookies with Edible Flowers (the pictures look AMAZING and my children would love it).

A side note: I never thought of using bee pollen as a garnish. I have some bee pollen, and I never know what to do with it so I'm glad to learn that I can use it as a garnish on dishes.

Disclaimer: I received the above book from Blogging for Books in an exchange for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment